Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chocolate chip cookies

Lately I’ve had this huge craving for chocolate chip cookies. I’ve looked around and I just can’t seem to find the kind that I like – soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside and full of chocolate chips and walnuts. I’m the type of person that thinks a desert is not a desert unless it includes chocolate. Anyway, chocolate chip cookies are one of my absolute favorites (the other one being brownies). I think of them as one of the finer things in life. (-:

I’m not a very good cook, but after realizing that the last time I ate one was in February, when I visited my family in Texas, I started to think that now is a good time to learn how to make them.

After looking through a couple of websites for recipes, I finally decided on one that didn’t seem too complicated or call for exotic ingredients. I went out and bought everything I needed and then spent the better part of an afternoon making them. My oven here does not have numbers on it to let you know how hot the oven is, so after taking out a pan of under-cooked cookies and a pan of burned cookies, they finally started to come out like I was wanting.

I don’t know if you like chocolate chip cookies, but I would like to share the recipe with you.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

I know there are all sorts of variations on the chocolate chip cookie, and all different ways that you can make them, but I just went for a basic recipe that I felt like I could do. I hope you like them as much as I did.

Te mando besos,
Jen

1 comment:

TraderSmarts said...

Just wanted to let you know that a couple weeks ago we made your cookies and they turned out great. I made them with my 3 1/2 year old and 20 mo old. The kids really had a great time. I consider myself a chef - not a baker. We made them a second time about a week later and I cut the sugar back to 3/4 brown and 3/4 white from a full cup each and added some oatmeal and used 2 cups of walnuts instead of 1 (can't get enough nuts :). Thanks for posting the recipe. Cheers!