Friday, August 1, 2008

How to Beat the Winter Blues

I went to running class the other day. As I was going over there I really started to notice how dark it was and just how empty our normal place to run seemed. As I looked around, it kind of bummed me out. I mean, I was going over there at around 7:15 to make our 7:30 class, and it was really dark.

When I got there, I blurted out something really brilliant to my friend, something like “Wow, it’s really dark!” I got an equally brilliant response in return from her, “yeah, Jen, it’s winter.” I couldn’t help but laughing.

You know, after 32 years of winters, you would think I would be used to it, but I’m not. It’s not that I don’t know it’s coming, but right in the middle of it, I always seem to notice of how little daylight there is.

After asking my friend how much longer we have before spring, and realizing that we have another 2 months, I decided I needed to think up something to beat my winter blues. After tossing around a couple of possible ideas, I thought of the perfect solution, something to really put a spring in my step – I decided to go shopping. (-:

Right now all of the stores here are having sales to get rid of their autumn and winter merchandise. This means literally, everything is at a discount. (I love that word.) And since there are 2 more months of winter, I thought that I would have plenty of time to wear my new digs.

I decided to head over to a shopping mall where I could hit as many stores as possible in a short amount of time. Wow, was that an experience! It seems like I’m not the only woman in town that wants to take advantage of the sales going on. I went on a Monday night and the stores were pretty much packed - women trying things on and men sitting down with a pleading look on their face that says “When do we get to leave?”

So I wouldn’t just wander around aimlessly, not knowing what I’m looking for, I decided to shop for one item in particular. Boots. I love new boots, especially the knee-high variety; they just seem to elevate an outfit.

After going in to almost all the shoe stores, I spotted a few at one store that were just what I was looking for – the perfect shape, color, style. I think I tried on 6 pairs, including for example, the same pair in different sizes and just as the poor salesman was starting to give me a hard time, I found the one that was going to go home with me. I figured, you know you’ve hit a winner when you walk through the store with them on and 3 other ladies look at you and say, “I want to try on those!”

And now, as I look down at my knee-high, low-heeled, with shine, black leather boots, I think to myself……winter blues? What winter blues? I love winter!

No comments: